Monday, January 5, 2009

A delicacy I think I can miss

A few weeks ago, I was sitting in the living room with the family I was staying with, and they offered me an egg. The mother finds it amusing that I'm a vegetarian, and there was a mischievousness in the way she offered it to me that told me maybe I should pass. She then cracked it open to reveal an almost mature baby duck. Everyone at the table started cracking theirs open and slurping out the delicacy and its juices. You have to spoon out a little of the meat, but mostly you eat it like an oversized oyster. Very popular in Vietnam as well.

1 comment:

Shmuel said...

Forgive the political correctness but that's just nasty on too many levels. And the way this host acted at mealtime, I'd be wary of strange things she might try to do to you while you sleep. Have you checked the house for whips chains and/or unsavory leather products?