Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Cambodians for Obama

There's a very large expat community in Cambodia -- it's the NGO capital of Southeast Asia, and there are a ton of westerners working there. If you want to hang out with expats, the place to go is the FCC, a riverside bar with a full of menu of hamburgers, spaghetti and lasagna. On the day of the election, it was packed wall-to-wall the entire day, climaxing with Obama's victory speech. The entire bar, focused on the video playing against one wall of the bar, and many people cried as Obama talked -- not just Americans, but Cambodians, Thai, Laotians. It's a few weeks later now, and I've had the same experience a number of times - people from Southeast Asia, India, China ask me if I'm American, and when I say that I am, they extend their hand and congratulate me.

No comments: